Keyboard locking is a simple process on both Windows and Mac computers. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps for both operating systems so that you can keep your keyboard safe from unwanted input.
How to lock the keyboard on Windows
If you’d like to disable your keyboard input on Windows, it’s not that difficult. You might want to do this to clear between a series of keys, or if you need the screen to remain inactive for a long time without accidental inputs from your keyboard. Here’s how to disable your keyboard on Windows.
- Download Keyboard Locker for Windows 10 and lock your keyboard with the click of a button.
- The Keyboard Lingerer download file will be named “KeyboardLocker.zip”. You will see two files in the downloaded folder: “KeyboardLocker.exe” and “KeyboardLocker.”. The keyboard pr ogram should automatically start when it’s launched, but if it doesn’t, be sure to click on the green icon to start it up.
- Double-click “KeyboardLocker.exe.” This file is an AutoHotKey script, so you don’t have to download AutoHotKey first.
- When you press Ctrl + Alt + L, the keyboard will be locked. To get back to it, just press Alt + Enter and the keyboard will open up.
If you uninstall a keyboard lock program, Windows 10 will remember your choice and the keyboard will no longer be locked if you use the Ctrl + Alt + L keyboard shortcut. This gives you the flexibility to choose whether to remain locked or not.
How to lock the keyboard on Mac
Apple doesn’t provide a built-in solution for locking the keyboard on macOS, but fortunately for you, there are several third-party applications that can do the trick. Similarly to Windows 10, your first step is to download an application.
Here are some of our favourite locks for Mac:
- This is just one of the keyboard-prohibiting apps available to Mac users.
- KeyboardCleanTool (Free) – This is a free app that enables you to control the cleanliness of your keyboard. It lets you take the time to look up apps and websites online then, share your top 10 favourites.
- MollyGuard 1.0 is available for free.
- Do you want to avoid doing manual and repetitive tasks? Alfred automates your life, so that you can focus on what matters. We have free and paid options for you, so we fit into any budget.
How to unlock the keyboard on Windows
The KeyboardLocker application is designed so that you can unlock it by simply typing in “unlock.” This will change the icon to show that the keyboard is unlocked again.
After successfully unlocking the keyboard, you’ll be notified.
How to unlock the keyboard on Mac
These apps will stay in your Mac menu bar and can be enabled or disabled with a mouse click. You can find these combinations on the official website or by accessing the support tab of the software.